OT: Cable Modems (WAS Re: Redhat 8 missing smp-kernel as stated by a bugzilla op, but aguy says something else?)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Kloiber" <ckloiber@redhat.com>
To: <psyche-list@redhat.com>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 8:17 PM
Subject: Re: Redhat 8 missing smp-kernel as stated by a bugzilla op, but
aguy says something else?

> My cable modem has gone to hell (again) so I haven't been following the
> list closely. Hopefully they will send out a repair guy with sufficient
> "clue" to get beyond the "Well it's working right now, so I can't fix
> it." mentality.

As I used to troubleshoot and install Cable modems, make sure the tech has a
meter to take readings to find out if you have any interference or such (he
should take readings starting from the modem, to the cable box, to the tap).
You might have old cables in your apartment or house that can cause
problems.  Also, there should be minimal connectors (any type of them, but
mainly splitters) between the tap in the ground or on the pole, to the modem
itself.  In other words, straight line from tap to modem is best, maybe a
cable box in between (if possible).  If no problems are turning up, if have
to, have them replace the modem AND to make sure it's sync'd BEFORE they
leave.  It ONLY should take a few minutes to do, including the phone call to
the rep at the computer to input the new modem numbers.

Sorry for the OT on the reply (well HE started it hehe), but figured this
might help others with cable modems as well.

Mike