Re: Dual-Head System w/o Xinerama

On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 02:43, Peter Boy wrote:
> James Kaufman wrote:
>
> > I have two monitors and two video cards. One is Matrox G400. The
> > other is an S3/Virge. I have run them as two separate monitors under
> > Psyche and KDE, but haven't figured out how to do this using GNOME.
>
> The current version of Gnome doesn't support two (or more) independent
> desktops as KDE does. So it's not possible in the moment.
>
> There is ongoing developement to support it and it is scheduled for one
> of the next versions (if I remember correctly 2.2 end of this year).
>
> > Another piece of the puzzle is when I start in GNOME, my left
> > monitor is perfectly fine. The right one is blank; however, I can
> > move my mouse to the second monitor and see a cross hair. I just
> > can't do anything with the second monitor.
>
> That's normal. XFree does recognice and handle both monitors, but Gnome
> will not display a desktop on the second one.
>
> Peter

Here's a paste from an email from the gnome mailing list today, but I
don't know if the issue above is really addressed or not:

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+

GTK+-2.1.1 is now available for download at:

 ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.1/

This is a development release leading up to GTK+-2.2. The major
change as compared to the stable GTK+-2.0.6 is support for
multiple displays and multiple screens in GDK, although there are
numerous minor changes as well.

Since GTK+-2.1.0, changes include independently installable
pixbuf loaders (librsvg now includes a SVG loader for GdkPixbuf),
fixes for drag-and-drop between multiple screens, and some initial
support for the RandR extension. Also this release fixes a problem
with compilation using Xft version 1.