Re: OT: Cable Modems (WAS Re: Redhat 8 missing smp-kernel as statedby a bugzilla op, but aguy says something else?)

And here's my addition: replace the cheapest component first. What's
that? Why, the ethernet cable! You'd be surprised what gets done to
ethernet cables. My electrician has a firm believe that neat wire runs
are the result of generous use of a staple gun on said wires. He was off
a little bit one morning and drove one pin of a staple right through the
wire of a 30 foot ethernet run, thus ruining it.

Anyhow just replace the existing ethernet cable with a new one and you
might have surprising results. I expect this is Cat 5e or 6 UTP wire you
are replacing. Cable modems were never made for Cat 3, right?

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA