RE: Hard disc re-partition question

Hi Stephen,

It looks like your having fun there;)

>At 09:52 PM 10/14/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>>You have 3 partitions...
>>How big are these partitions and what are these partitions mounted on?
>I will check it later because I am answering your posting on a Windows
>machine.

The same machine? if so, you'll be able to see the partitions and drives
but just won't be able to read from them.

>The hard drive is 40G in size which was running RH7.3 only, now upgraded to
>RH8.0  It was not installed by me previously.
>
>There is plenty of free space there.  Now my job is to resize existing
>partitions getting more free space and add new partitions for users.

You might want to take a look at 'parted' it allows you to create, destroy,
resize, move and copy hard disk partitions. I've never used it but if
Redhat decided to release it with psyche then i'd have confidence in using
it next time i need to mess with my partitions. (If you use it let me know
what it's like:)

>I have Norton Ghost and I am in doubt whether it runs on Linux.  I also
>have Instant Recovery which runs on CDRom, backup OS drive without starting
>it and write directly on CD-Writer.  I have used the Windows version of the
>later on Windows environment but never use the Linux version on Linux.  On
>Windows It can backup partitions and restore them selectively.

Norton ghost as far as i know does support ext2 and ext3 partitions, though it
doesn't run on linux but as i say if you can see the disk/partitions from XP
you could selectively back up partitions and restore from those backups if needed.
And it'll back it up to cd-writer too, as you already know.

>That is what I do on Windows machine, slave drive or a partition "Drive
>D".  But I stop allowing 2 OSs sharing a hard drive after an accident,
>partition table collapse.  It took me very long time and paintsticking
>effort to get the drive and all data back.
>I could not resolve if I have all users partitions on slave drive how can
>Linux finds the respective folder for him automatically when a user starts
>Linux and login.  Any special links have to be created

folder?? Windoze term i believe... ecchh
When a user logs in they will be dumped straight into their home DIRECTORY
you specified when you created the user wherever that may be slave or primary.

>>My drive cost me about £75 GBP, and believe me it is much less of a
>>headache to
>>re-install and mess with my system now.
>Yes, that is true.  But in this case it is a dual OS PC, RH8.0 and WinXP
>with their own hard drive mounted on mobile rack.  I don't know what will
>happen if a RH8.0 Slave is attached to WinXP, secondly how to make use of
>the free space in Primary drive

Nothing will 'happen' windoze just won't be able to read from it.  If you want
to make use of the space on the primary drive by both OS's you would probably be
better off formatting the free space as fat32 so both XP and linux can read and
write to these partitions cos there is little knowledge on ntfs in the linux
world Linux can see and read from NTFS but can't write to it (and that's only
if it's been compiled into the kernel, it wasn't on 7.3, dunno about 8.0, i'll
try it later and get back to you.  Micro$haft aren't too keen to give too much
info away on it.

Once you formatted it in whatever filesystem, enter it into /etc/fstab so it mounts
at boot time.

Thx,

M:)