Re: Sound and nForce

I consider nForce based systems to currently be NOT compatible wit Red
Hat Linux. Out of the box, the video doesn't work, the sound doesn't
work, and if it has the built-in nForce network card, it doesn't work
either. (So far I've installed on only one nForce-based system, in text
mode with an add-in nic) nVidia has some binary drivers for all of it
apparently, but they are not to my knowledge compiled for gcc3.2/Red Hat
Linux 8.0 yet.

The audio on the nForce (what you were talking about) is apparently not
*quite* a real i810, and that's why the driver loads and fails. Just
like the video on the nForce isn't *quite* the same as an add-in nVidia
card, which causes the system to lock up hard when the open-source "nv"
driver is loaded.

So IMNSHO, nForce systems currently make fine Windows boxes, but that's
about it.