Re: Mildly pissed, was Re: Modem lights applet displays nothing....

On Wed Oct 09 2002 at 13:48, Aaron wrote:

> I can't run KDE reliably.  This on an OOB custom install, not an

(By all accounts, what redhat did with kde in 8.0 was butcher it.
I don't use kde, but I'm not suprised by all the problems.  Not a
good move imho).

> I haven't been able to narrow it down, but it seems that if I have PPP
> up, and maybe mozilla or maybe evolution, or both, or neither I'm not
> sure, KDE just freezes.  No access to taskbar, icon zooming is dead,
> can't use the keyboard to get the hat-menu up, can't alt-F2 at all, it's
> like I have a post-modern art exhibit sitting behind my keyboard.  So I
> have to press the Big Orange Switch.  On *Linux* fer galdurned sakes!  I
> *expect* that from Windows, but never Linux.

You should be able to log into the box from the network (if it
hasn't frozen completely) and kill X from there.

Or better still, enable kernel sysreq (in /etc/sysctl.conf) -- which
can be a real system-saver to have a way to get your keyboard
control back (among other things).  For all the details, have a look
in the kernel docs at a file call sysrq.txt.

Cheers
Tony