a few RH 8.0 critiques

* I Resized my screen from 1024x768 to 640x480 and I lost some icons off
the screen.  Unfortunately there is no 'right-click' desktop and
auto-arrange icons feature. What if I wanted to stay at that
resolution?  Fortunately, my icons don't automatically get rearranged on
me - like windows does to me.  There are times when I want to switch to
a different resolution to check web pages and I want to leave my icons
where they are.

* The gnome file open dialog - can it get any harder? I've seen better
file handling dialog boxes on dumb terminals.

* The auto/timed login feature is cool. Why not be able to change About
Myself, Password and user Photo at the login screen?  Or put these in a
common control panel to help consolidate the menu a bit.

* Program loads.. only the harddrive light gives me a clue the system is
working. Mom didn't know she was launching the OO Writer 14 times.  So,
I trained her to stare at the System Monitor applet on the panel.

* Chromium should detect 3D accelaration and present the user the choice
of continue running like a dog or not.

* Kedit - the Word Wrap setting was disabled by default - finally
someone had guts to turn off that useless feature of word wrapping. ;)

* Mozilla needs to learn a thing or two from Konqeror about how to
default to better looking fonts on web sites.

* RH's Network Device Control (neat) should not allow you to add a
wireless connection if it can't follow through with it. I had to config
my Linksys wireless pcmcia to good 'ol fashion way. Works good - just
need an applet for /proc/net/wireless quality now.

* xmtr needs root privilege to run - it's just a traceroute tool, isn't
it or am I missing something?

* redhat-config-package: Nice look but no way to find out what were the
most recently installed/updated packages are.

* It would be nice to have a "switch to superuser mode" within Nautilus
and Konqeror without having to re-login as root.  After all, other apps
ask for the root password.

* The qtk tree widget is not bound to arrow keys for navigation - must
use a mouse. ugh.

-eric wood