Re: a few RH 8.0 critiques

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 12:44, Eric Wood wrote:
> * I Resized my screen from 1024x768 to 640x480 and I lost some icons off
> the screen.

The actual resolution, or the virtual resolution?

> Unfortunately there is no 'right-click' desktop and
> auto-arrange icons feature.  What if I wanted to stay at that
> resolution?  Fortunately, my icons don't automatically get rearranged on
> me

Uh... which is it?  Do you want them auto-arranged or not?  :)

If you want to arrange your icons using Nautilus, right-click and "Clean
up by name".

> * The gnome file open dialog - can it get any harder? I've seen better
> file handling dialog boxes on dumb terminals.

I've seen worse.  It's not far off from the NeXT style file dialog
(which Mac OS X also uses).  It'd be a lot better if it were a little
bit more like the NeXT version.

> * The auto/timed login feature is cool. Why not be able to change About
> Myself, Password and user Photo at the login screen?

Because then users could change other users' settings?  Once you
authenticate, you're logged in and you can access those things from the
menus.

> Or put these in a
> common control panel to help consolidate the menu a bit.

That seems reasonable.

> * Mozilla needs to learn a thing or two from Konqeror about how to
> default to better looking fonts on web sites.

I've heard that 1.2 will land with a fully working GTK+2 interface, and
will use the same font configuration and display code that GNOME 2 and
KDE are using in this release.

> * RH's Network Device Control (neat) should not allow you to add a
> wireless connection if it can't follow through with it. I had to config
> my Linksys wireless pcmcia to good 'ol fashion way. Works good - just
> need an applet for /proc/net/wireless quality now.

It seems slightly broken, doesn't it?  I was able to add the device as
ethernet first, then change it to a Wireless device.

> * xmtr needs root privilege to run - it's just a traceroute tool, isn't
> it or am I missing something?

Basically, it is.  However, traceroute needs root privileges to run.
Take a look sometime; it's SUID.