Re: DVDs, hdparm and stuff like that

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 08:09:39PM +0200, Tino Meinen wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-10-08 at 18:06, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
> >   comments?  additions?
> I found that DVD-playback was rather jerky in the initial standard RH
> configuration. (momentarily freezing for a moment, every second or so)
>
> However, after I put an ide-scsi layer on the DVD drive (by giving
> hdc=ide-scsi option while booting) DVD playback became very smooth.

I'm not positive (the machine is at home), but I think this may be related to
the fact that using ide-scsi turns on DMA as a side effect which is what
actually makes it smoother.  I know I checked by DVD drive w/ hdparm and it
showed DMA enabled.  I haven't actually tried any movies yet, I had enabled
ide-scsi as I've heard it's better when ripping audio w/ cdparanoia.

jason

--
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former" - Albert Einstein