DVDs, hdparm and stuff like that

  having gotten DVDs to play on my inspiron 8100, i thought
i'd post a quick summary of what i did, and finish with a
couple of questions.

  from www.freshrpms.net, to use ogle (i've never had good
luck with xine, so someone else can jump in here if they
want):

	alsa-lib
	libdvdcss
	libdvdread
	ogle
	ogle_gui

and now for the fun part -- getting decent playback.  since
this involves DMA (among other possible things), i tested
things on my hard drive first.  some benchmark testing:

  # hdparm -t /dev/hda

showed that i could speed things up nicely by enabling DMA:

  # hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda
  # hdparm -t /dev/dha		(ooh, 5 times the throughput)

you can make this setting permanent by adding the line

  USE_DMA=1

in /etc/sysconfig/harddisks.

  so, given that my DVD drive is technically /dev/hdb, i can
enable DMA on that as well:

  # hdparm -d 1 /dev/hdb

and that pretty much gives me nice, smooth playback.  however,
a caveat -- to set this on a permanent basis, you can't just rely
on the USE_DMA line /etc/sysconfig/harddisks, since that file
is only used as the default for actual disks, as i found out
the hard way after reading /etc/rc.sysinit.

  instead, just create the file /etc/sysconfig/harddiskhdb,
with the single line

  USE_DMA=1

and you're all set.

  yes, i know all this is pretty trivial stuff, but enough
people have been asking about DVDs, i figure it was worth
posting.

  comments?  additions?

rday

p.s.  i noticed that setting 32-bit IO support (EIDE_32BIT=1)
didn't make a noticeable difference for the hard drive once DMA
is already enabled.  i suspect it wouldn't hurt, but it just
didn't seem to have any benefit.  (it *does* make a difference
if DMA is not enabled, however).