Re: Mouse stops working

Hi Mike,

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 00:02:54 -0500 (EST)
"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Andre Costa wrote:
>
> >sometimes, mouse simply stops working with X. Everything else (eg.
> >keyboard) keeps working. I have no choice (AFAIK) but shutdown X with
> >CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, which sometimes makes me lose stuff I was doing.
> >
> >I use latest 4.3.0-55 packages for Fedora, with NVidia driver 5336.
> >My mouse-related settings on XF86Config are:
> [SNIP]
> >My mouse is an optical MS Intellimouse, attached do PS/2 port. The
> >reported behavior happens either if I keep gpm running or not while
> >on X./var/log/XFree86.0.log says:
> >
> >(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "DevInputMice" (type:
> >MOUSE)
>
> There are some faulty Microsoft Intellimice out there, which are
> just broken hardware.

... in this case, maybe they should be renamed to "M$ DumbMice" =)

> It is possible that you may have one of
> them, but I do not remember how to go about determining which
> ones are broken.  Microsoft has some knowledgebase articles on
> this problem, and if I remember correctly, there is no easy way
> around the problem.

I will try to see if I can find some info on MS knowledge base about
this. However, I really don't think it is a problem with my mouse,
because windoze on the same box works just fine for hours (never
experienced these locks there).

> However...  you might not have the buggy M$ mouse either, it
> could be some other problem.  I recommend disabling gpm entirely
> at boot time and rebooting without it running to see if that
> makes any difference.

Mmh... I had already tried disabling gpm before starting X, and enabling
right afterwards. Didn't help much, but I hadn't tried completely
deactivating gpm (I mean, "chkconfig gpm off"). I am trying it right now
(just rebooted), let's see if it improves stability... FYI, these locks
are somewhat rare, it's not easy to reproduce them.

One important info: with gpm enabled, I saw sometimes right after I exit
X a "spurious interrupt 8257A" message on console (or something
similar, can't remember exactly what it was, sorry...)

> >(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler"
> >(type: Other)(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
>
> Nvidia event handler?  That's a new one to me.  Perhaps Nvidia's
> video driver now has a built in mouse driver as well?  ;o)

Who knows? ;) I will send a msg to Nvidia ML to try to gather some info.
I will post back here any findings, just for the record.

> >Any hints on what to do to narrow down the cause of the problem?
> >Should I post this to NVIDIA ML?
>
> I would recommend reinstalling XFree86 from the latest rpms
> available for the OS release you are using, and configure the
> "nv" driver, or "vesa" driver and try to reproduce the problem.
> If the problem is not reproduceable, then it may be possible that
> the nvidia driver is interfering with things, at which point you
> might want to try Nvidia's web forums in case someone is aware of
> problems like this caused by their driver.
>
> Hope this helps!

Sure did, Mike, thks a lot =) Let me see if I can gather any additional
info, and I will post back here the results.

Best,

Andre

--
Andre Oliveira da Costa