Re: Mouse stops working

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004, Andre Costa wrote:

>sometimes, mouse simply stops working with X. Everything else (eg.
>keyboard) keeps working. I have no choice (AFAIK) but shutdown X with
>CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE, which sometimes makes me lose stuff I was doing.
>
>I use latest 4.3.0-55 packages for Fedora, with NVidia driver 5336. My
>mouse-related settings on XF86Config are:
[SNIP]
>My mouse is an optical MS Intellimouse, attached do PS/2 port. The
>reported behavior happens either if I keep gpm running or not while on
>X./var/log/XFree86.0.log says:
>
>(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "DevInputMice" (type: MOUSE)

There are some faulty Microsoft Intellimice out there, which are
just broken hardware.  It is possible that you may have one of
them, but I do not remember how to go about determining which
ones are broken.  Microsoft has some knowledgebase articles on
this problem, and if I remember correctly, there is no easy way
around the problem.

However...  you might not have the buggy M$ mouse either, it
could be some other problem.  I recommend disabling gpm entirely
at boot time and rebooting without it running to see if that
makes any difference.

>(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "NVIDIA Event Handler" (type:
>Other)(II) Mouse0: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded

Nvidia event handler?  That's a new one to me.  Perhaps Nvidia's
video driver now has a built in mouse driver as well?  ;o)

>Any hints on what to do to narrow down the cause of the problem? Should
>I post this to NVIDIA ML?

I would recommend reinstalling XFree86 from the latest rpms
available for the OS release you are using, and configure the
"nv" driver, or "vesa" driver and try to reproduce the problem.
If the problem is not reproduceable, then it may be possible that
the nvidia driver is interfering with things, at which point you
might want to try Nvidia's web forums in case someone is aware of
problems like this caused by their driver.

Hope this helps!

Take care,
TTYL