Freeglut 2.2.0 is now in Fedora devel tree - Request For Testers

I have updated freeglut to version 2.2.0 in fedora-devel.  The
new version should be API and ABI compatible with glut 3.7 to the
best of my knowledge, as that is one of the main goals of the
freeglut project.

When upgrading to these new freeglut packages, they will
automatically obsolete and uninstall any "glut" and "glut-devel"
package present on the system.  The new packages have a virtual
provides set for "glut = 3.7" and "glut-devel = 3.7" for rpm
dependancy compatibility with rpms which may be installed already
which require either of the two.

I have done some preliminary testing already, however there are 3
levels of testing that need to be done.  Please test as many of
the following scenarios as you can:

- Install binary software that is already linked dynamically to
  Mark Kilgard's GLUT (or install GLUT and build some GLUT
  applications).  Then upgrade to freeglut, and run the existing
  GLUT applications.  This tests ABI compatibility from
  glut->freeglut.

- With freeglut and freeglut installed (which will remove glut
  and glut-devel automatically), rebuild some applications that
  use GLUT, so that they've linked against freeglut instead.
  Test them, and note any problems or incompatibilities.  This
  tests API compatibility.  Note that no modification to the
  application's source is necessary.

- With applications linked to freeglut as per above, now remove
  freeglut with "rpm -e freeglut freeglut-devel --nodeps" and
  reinstall the original glut from RHL 9.  Now run-test the GLUT
  apps.  This tests freeglut->glut ABI compatibility.

Some software which you may find useful for testing include
Mesa-demos, and Really Slick Screensavers (rss).  There are many
other GLUT using apps out there as well, however Fedora Core
itself has no dependancies on GLUT currently, so 3rd party
software is required to do this testing.

If possible, please perform the above testing if possible by
using the Red Hat supplied Mesa OpenGL implementation which is
included with XFree86, so that we can get adequate test coverage
with Mesa libGL, and DRI drivers.  If you are using proprietary
drivers from Nvidia, ATI or another 3rd party, you would have to
uninstall these drivers temporarily and reinstall the Fedora
provided libGL, etc. so that we know what is being tested is what
comes with the OS.

It is also important however for people to test with proprietary
libGL from Nvidia, ATI, etc. as well however, as that will give
additional compatibility test coverage with alternative libGL
implementations.  Interestingly enough, one of the problems with
Mark Kilgard's original GLUT, is that it has a bug in it which
causes it to not work properly with Nvidia and other libGL
implementations if it has been compiled with Mesa, because mesa
implements some extensions which are not widely used, and are not
present in all vendor's libGLs out there.  Freeglut should not
suffer from this limitation, and so it should work equally well
with both Mesa libGL and with Nvidia/ATI/etc. libGL - at least in
theory.

If you encounter any API or ABI incompatibilities in the above
testing, or any bugs/problems with the library itself, please
report them to the upstream freeglut bug tracker on sourceforge,
which is located at:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=101032&group_id=1032&func=browse

If you report a bug there, feel free to also file a tracker bug
in Red Hat bugzilla as well, with a URL pointing to the upstream
bug report for me to track.  I'll monitor the upstream report
also.

If you discover any problems with the RPM packaging of freeglut
itself, please report the bug in Red Hat bugzilla instead of
upstream.

Thanks in advance for any testing.