Re: Re: ATI Radeon PCI 9200SE no DRI

--- Fred Welland <f.welland@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yep I tried the "ForcePCIMode" "true" option - and various and sundry
> other combinations of options in my device section either X works
> with no hardware acceleation or X hangs as described before.
>

> So ForcePCIMode  yeilds the same results as the driver the mharris
> pointed to in the aforementioned link.  And this is the case w/o
> ForcePCIMode and w/o mharris's tweaked driver.
>
> Also, noticed the 'ForcePCIMode' bug in XFree's buggzilla and the
> BusType is the way to go - 'cept that must be a XFree 4.4 thing,
> because the log file just mentions that it is ignoring it as
> unknown..
>

> I was hoping to tweak/tune/config this without having to recompile
> anything....that doesn't look promising...

I'm not sure how much luck you will have with 4.3 since it doesn't
officially support the 9200.  the bustype option wasn't added until
recently so right now it is only available in cvs, but will eventually
be part of 4.4.  Another thing you might try is to set both
"forcepcimode" to true and force the chipid to that of a radeon 9000.
for the most part the 9200 and the 9000 are the same. the 9200 just has
agp 8x support.

Alex

> Interesting to note something:  The Xlog, in this condition, doesn't
> really indicate anything is wrong.  I have presumed that at the point
> of the last message X is so badly hung it isn't writing anymore.  Or
> that it started up OK as far as it was concerned and didn't have
> anything more to write to log (before I kill it)...  I guess I should
> compare a 'good' log with a 'bad' log...

[snip]