init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled

Hi,

   I recently had a power failure. When I tried bringing the system back
up, I got the message

init: Id "x" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

I tried changing the initlevel to 3 (from 5 previously), and starting X
(startx) manually.

I was unable to do so. There don't seem to be any XF86Config File in
/etc/X11.

I am using a stock version of Redhat with a kernel that has been
recompiled. The System was working perfectly until the power failure.

I am suspecting a corrupt partition, but don't know for sure. Can anyone
point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Vijay