ATI Radeon PCI 9200SE no DRI

I resurrected a workstation and just stuffed in a PCI Radeon 9200SE card and I caught this thread:

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/xfree86-list/2003-November/msg00034.html

I had hoped it would lead me to decent 3D on this workstation (and maybe make 2d stuff a bit snappier??).

After following the direction in the thread, all it did was hang my Xserver -- I can still telnet to the box and tinker but 'restarting' X gives just a blank screen an unresponsive keybard.  Using the radeon driver that came with RH 9 works ok (no DRI enabled tho).

I would love to get this card working as best as possible.  Here are some specifics of my hardware/software:

-RH 9 basically a virgin install
-2.4.20-8smp #1 SMP Thu Mar 13 17:45:54 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
-PR440FX mother board with two PII ODs and 512MB ram (and other stuff that is probably not important

Basic Specs of card:
Radeon 9200SE PCI 128MB ddr video memeor

More details about card are here:
http://www.gecube.com.tw/productCategory.php?proID=11

-------
Here are some links I have tried to get DRI/3d working on this system:

http://users.actrix.co.nz/michael/radeon9200.html
http://www.desktop-linux.net/ati.htm

(An account of my experiment with ATI 'fg' drivers and xFree 'radeon' drivers)

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=16e1237ba5df927f457a276da570c9b2&threadid=33735273