Re: xfree on Redhat 8

On Fri, 2 Jan 2004, Eric Scott wrote:

>I have an ASUS motherboard with a built in Geforce 2 graphics system.
>The redhat 8.0 installer hangs on monitor probing.  No problem, I just did
>"linux text skipddc" and the installer lads fine.  But then the installer
>hangs on the xfree setup... or rather, it hangs when I try to test the xfree
>setup. The screen goes black, which would be expected with a bad monitor
>configuration. (I selected the exact model)  But it never comes back.  I can
>leave it for an hour to no avail.  So I skip xfree setup in the install, and
>I can boot into the terminal via boot floppy (I prefer to use the mandrake
>boot loader, and I can't figure out how to load redhat from it.

You haven't mentioned what your monitor is, so I can only guess.
If you're using a flat panel, you will have problems, as the "nv"
driver doesn't support flat panels properly in XFree86 4.3.0 or
earlier.  There are other possibilities also, but without seeing
the X server log file and config file, only random shots in the
dark can be made, which isn't very useful.

>Any clues on how to get xfree working from here?

My suggestion is to acquire Fedora Core 1, which is the current
community based OS offering from Red Hat, and contains the latest
XFree86 release, which may possibly resolve the problem.

>I'm super-newbie to Linux, and have just been playing around
>with Mandrake, Redhat, and Yellow Dog for about a year now.  So
>be very detailed in your response; Thanx a million,

There's not enough information been provided in order to give any
kind of highly detailed response.  ;o)  You might want to check
bugzilla for bug reports of the nature of the problem you're
having, and see what the results/responses are.

Keep in mind however, that Red Hat Linux 8.0 and all older OS
releases are no longer supported by Red Hat, as of Dec 31, 2003.
Only Red Hat Linux 9, Fedora Core 1, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux
2.1 and 3 are supported currently.

Hope this helps.

--
Mike A. Harris