xfree on Redhat 8

   I have an ASUS motherboard with a built in Geforce 2 graphics system.
The redhat 8.0 installer hangs on monitor probing.  No problem, I just did
"linux text skipddc" and the installer lads fine.  But then the installer
hangs on the xfree setup... or rather, it hangs when I try to test the xfree
setup. The screen goes black, which would be expected with a bad monitor
configuration. (I selected the exact model)  But it never comes back.  I can
leave it for an hour to no avail.  So I skip xfree setup in the install, and
I can boot into the terminal via boot floppy (I prefer to use the mandrake
boot loader, and I can't figure out how to load redhat from it.

 Any clues on how to get xfree working from here?
I'm super-newbie to Linux, and have just been playing around with Mandrake,
Redhat, and Yellow Dog for about a year now.  So be very detailed in your
response;
Thanx a million,
   ES