Re: More on ATI Radeon 9200SE

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Gene C. wrote:

>> The only alternative is to just
>> not add any new support for hardware until we physically have it
>> to test with.  That is a bad idea though, as the majority of new
>> hardware support that gets added works well, even if we don't
>> have the hardware.
>
>With all of the variations of both built by ATI and powered by
>ATI adapters, I consider it a loosing struggle to expect to have
>every variation in house.

In general however, we don't need to.  When ATI first allowed 3rd
parties to make boards based on their chips, the existing XFree86
release at the time had many hard coded assumptions about the
memory type and speed used on a given ATI board, and other
assumptions in the Radeon driver.  There were also assumptions
about how multiple displays were wired up to the chip, and as
long as people had Built by ATI hardware, the drivers always
worked, because that is what was used to write the driver.
However, once Powered by ATI boards became available, and 3rd
parties changed the way the various chips were wired on the
board, or changed memory speeds/type, or other things, the
assumptions in the drivers did not hold true anymore in some
cases and people would have failures.

The next XFree86 release (4.3.0) changed all of that, by
genericizing those parts of the driver to un-hardcode the Built
by ATI assumptions.  I don't remember the last time I saw a bug
reported against Radeon which was "Powered by ATI" card specific,
and I consider all Built/Powered boards to more or less have
equal quality support currently.  If someone reports a problem,
it is much less likely to be specific to one or the other
nowadays.  If I try to reproduce it on my Built by card(s) and
can not, and someone happens to have a Powered by card, it is
possible there is a difference that is causing the problem, but I
would be much more inclined to assume it is some other problem
that has nothing to do with wether it was Built by or Powered by
ATI.  That has been my experience so far with 4.3.0 anyway.

Most of the PCI based Radeon cards nowadays tend to be Powered by
ATI boards however, and so some people might have problems with
them and assume it is because it is "Powered by", when in
actuality it is because it is "PCI" instead of "AGP", and PCI
Radeon support is experimental only (although it is getting much
more solid as of late).

>IMHO, this is one of those situations where you will need to
>depend on the community to report the info on new adapters.

That is always appreciated of course.  I generally ask ATI
directly though and get a list back within a day or so.  I missed
a few when updating the lists last, but that is quite easy to do
since it requires making rather tedious updates in about 5
different locations, some in XFree86 source code, some in our
hwdata, and then again on the official pci ID database on
sourceforge, etc.  I'll fix that sometime, but until then people
can use the ChipID keyword to work around it easily enough, so
it's not a mission critical priority currently, but I'll
eventually get around to it during FC2 development, and probably
release an update for FC1 also.

>Please ask if there is insufficent data in my bugzilla reports.

Will do.

--
Mike A. Harris