Re: XFree86-4.0.3-6 & 2nd Monitor

On Fri, 23 May 2003, Hugh Caley wrote:

>Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 16:29:57 -0700
>From: Hugh Caley <Hugh_Caley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: XFree86-4.0.3-6 & 2nd Monitor
>
>I'm having a similar problem on a Dell 640 using XFree86 4.3.0 and a
>Radeon Mobility 7500.  The primary display is always "cloned" to the
>secondary, even with a second screen set up for the secondary in
>XF86Config, and Xinerama on, etc.  I can freely move my cursor between
>the two screens, and drag an app from one screen to the other, but
>screen two always mirrors one and they interfere with each other.
>
>According to "man radeon", the "CloneDisplay" setting is only used when
>there is only one screen in the config file.  "CloneMode" says if you
>don't have this line while clone is on, the modes specified for the
>primary head will be used for the secondary head.  This would seem to
>indicate that neither of these options are useable if there is a second
>"screen" section in XF86Config (which I have), and sure enough the
>options don't seem to make a difference, and yet the display is cloned.
>Somethings wrong here.

The radeon manpage is out of date it seems with the current
driver.  There are new driver options.  Perhaps this is the cause
of people's problems - the docs not matching the driver.

       Option "MonitorLayout" "string"
              This option is used to overwrite  the  detected
monitor  types.
              This  is only required when driver makes a false
detection.  The
              possible monitor types are:
              NONE   -- Not connected
              CRT    -- Analog CRT monitor
              TMDS   -- Desktop flat panel
              LVDS   -- Lapto flat panel
              This option can be used in following format:
              Option "MonitorLayout" "[type on primary], [type on
secondary]"
              For example, Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT, TMDS"

              Primary/Secondary head for dual-head cards:
              (when only one port is used, it will be treated as
the  primary
              regardless)
              Primary head:
              DVI port on DVI+VGA cards
              LCD output on laptops
              Internal TMDS prot on DVI+DVI cards
              Secondary head:
              VGA port on DVI+VGA cards
              VGA port on laptops
              External TMDS port on DVI+DVI cards

              The default value is undefined.

       Option "CloneMode" "string"
              Set  the first mode for the secondary head.  It can
be different
              from the modes used for the primary head. If you
don't have this
              line while clone is on, the modes specified for the
primary head
              will be used for the secondary head.
              For example, Option "CloneMode" "1024x768"
              The default value is undefined.

I'll update the radeon manpage in future builds.

--
Mike A. Harris