Re: XFree86-4.0.3-6 & 2nd Monitor

Thanks for replying, Mike. I'm not sure this makes a difference to me. I have two screens defined in my XF86Config which are called in the ServerLayout; according to the Radeon docs I have this means that clone mode should be turned off. Is this not the case? My two screens are cloned no matter what I do, even though I can move between them with the cursor, and move an application between the two.

Hugh

The radeon manpage is out of date it seems with the current driver. There are new driver options. Perhaps this is the cause of people's problems - the docs not matching the driver.

Option "MonitorLayout" "string"
This option is used to overwrite the detected monitor types.
This is only required when driver makes a false detection. The
possible monitor types are:
NONE -- Not connected
CRT -- Analog CRT monitor
TMDS -- Desktop flat panel
LVDS -- Lapto flat panel
This option can be used in following format:
Option "MonitorLayout" "[type on primary], [type on secondary]"
For example, Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT, TMDS"

Primary/Secondary head for dual-head cards:
(when only one port is used, it will be treated as the primary
regardless)
Primary head:
DVI port on DVI+VGA cards
LCD output on laptops
Internal TMDS prot on DVI+DVI cards
Secondary head:
VGA port on DVI+VGA cards
VGA port on laptops
External TMDS port on DVI+DVI cards

The default value is undefined.

Option "CloneMode" "string"
Set the first mode for the secondary head. It can be different
from the modes used for the primary head. If you don't have this
line while clone is on, the modes specified for the primary head
will be used for the secondary head.
For example, Option "CloneMode" "1024x768"
The default value is undefined.

-- Hugh Caley, Unix Systems Administrator Affymetrix Inc., 510-428-8537 Hugh_Caley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx