Re: XF86 config Problem - Redhat 9

On Tuesday, May 20, 2003, at 12:04 AM, Mike A. Harris wrote:
Yep, this is a known bug with the stock XFree86 rpms in RH9. The newer
(rawhide) rpms fix this at the expense of mirroring that can't be
turned off. AFAIK, this problem still exists.

There are some people who make that claim, but I have yet to see it proven true in front of my eyes.

I wish I had a digital camera, or that you lived in DC. I'd invite you over for pizza, beer, and a debugging session. :)

So please don't state it as
if every single Radeon user is going to experience the problem
you claim as that is not true.

I've traded emails with a number of dual-head Radeon users and have answered quite a few pleas for help based on my messages in the archives. I've yet to speak to anyone who has a working dual-head Radeon set up in RH9/XF86 4.3.0.

If you're out there, don't be shy! Post your config file!

I personally consider it end user misconfiguration until I see an
actual reproduceable test case which I can reproduce on one of
the 20+ Radeon cards I have here.

Ok. I totally understand the motivation for feeling like your hands are tied without a reproducible case. Let me ask you this: do you have a dual-head Radeon 7500 (I'd settle for any Radeon model) for which Xinerama works for you in XFree86 4.3.0? If so, I know there are more than a few people who wouldn't mind if you posted the XF86Config file for that system <wink>.

Since the config tool does not handle dualhead configuration, it
isn't a surprise that users misconfigure it left and right, as it
isn't a particularly easy process for many to get it correct.

My XF86Config file isn't generated by the config tool. It's derived from my XF86Config-4 file which worked just fine in both Xinerama and non-Xinerama dual-head configuration on XF4.2/RH7.3. I include it again below.

I'm totally willing to believe it's a misconfiguration on my part. But I've stared at this file countless times, tried countless variations, and have had no luck. Tell me what to try and I will try it. I'd gladly trade public humiliation in a perpetual archive for a working Xinerama set up. :)

Perhaps users who do have it workign will share their
configurations with those that don't.

I would love this.

I have made this response with the specific intent of not having
all Radeon users scared away by possible misinformation because
one or 2 people have a problem that might very well be lack of
proper configuration.

One thing is for sure though, until an actual bug can be
reproduced by a developer somewhere, then it is nothing more than
an unknown phenomenon which may be a bug or may be
misconfiguration.  Until a bug is proven and a test case exists
nobody can or will fix it.  On the contrary, when a test case
does exist, which is reproduceable and is proven to not be
misconfiguration, then someone can investigate what is causing
it.

I await that test case.

Tell me what I can do to produce such a test case. Seems like it would be difficult without a picture or movie of my desktop. A screen capture is useless.

Anyway, just so the information's convenient, I'll describe once again my hardware set up:

- Single Radeon 7500 PCI card with a VGA and a DVI port in a Dell Optiplex box
- Two Dell E171FP analog flat panel monitors
- One panel plugged directly into the 7500's VGA port
- One panel plugged into the DVI port with an ATI supplied DVI->VGA converter

I'm running RH9, XFree86-*4.3.0-10.rpm just grabbed from rawhide not 30 minutes ago.

Symptom: mirroring on both monitors which cannot be turned off. No multiple screens, no Xinerama. Do you need any other information? A dump of XFree86.0.log?

-Barry

----------snip snip----------
Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "XFree86 Dual Head"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
	Screen      1  "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
	InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
	RgbPath      "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"
	ModulePath   "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules"
	FontPath     "unix/:7100"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load  "dbe"
	Load  "dri"
	Load  "extmod"
	Load  "glx"
	Load  "record"
	Load  "xtrap"
	Load  "speedo"
	Load  "type1"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option "Xinerama" "On"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "keyboard"
	Option	    "XkbRules" "xfree86"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "microsoft"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
	Option	    "XkbVariant" "nodeadkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier  "Mouse0"
	Driver      "mouse"
	Option	    "Device" "/dev/mouse"
	Option	    "Protocol" "MouseManPlusPS/2"
	Option	    "Emulate3Buttons" "off"
	Option	    "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"