Re: Redhat 9, ATI Radeon 7500, DVI digital display -- output flaky

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Mike Godfrey wrote:

>Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:06:10 -0400
>From: Mike Godfrey <migod@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>Cc: mharris@xxxxxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: Redhat 9, ATI Radeon 7500, DVI digital display -- output flaky
>
>Here is a screenshot of what I was talking about; thanks for any tips.
>

>	http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~migod/ftp/radeon-dvi-output.jpg

Hmm.  that looks like bad video memory corrupting offscreen
pixmap cache.

To test that theory, please try adding to the device section
of your config file:

	Option "noaccel"

Restart X and try to reproduce.  If the problem persists, and is
static and not changing, not influenced at all by moving windows
around, etc. then it is probably video memory corruption right in
the framebuffer.

If noaccel makes the problem go away, it could be offscreen video
memory corruption as mentioned above.  You can test this out by
removing option noaccel, and instead trying each of these one at
a time, then both together:

	Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"
	Option "XaaNoPixmapCache"

Indicate if either one work, both, or neither.

It also could be some kind of Xft or RENDER wonkiness, although
that would be reproduceable on any hardware and shouldn't be
driver or card specific in that case, and would be widely
reported.

It's also possible to be an application specific problem although
from the screenshot it seems unlikely.