Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 22:06:10 -0400
From: Mike Godfrey <migod@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: xfree86-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: mharris@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Redhat 9, ATI Radeon 7500, DVI digital display -- output flaky

Here is a screenshot of what I was talking about; thanks for any tips.

http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~migod/ftp/radeon-dvi-output.jpg

Hmm. that looks like bad video memory corrupting offscreen pixmap cache.

To test that theory, please try adding to the device section of your config file:

Option "noaccel"

Restart X and try to reproduce. If the problem persists, and is static and not changing, not influenced at all by moving windows around, etc. then it is probably video memory corruption right in the framebuffer.

If noaccel makes the problem go away, it could be offscreen video memory corruption as mentioned above. You can test this out by removing option noaccel, and instead trying each of these one at a time, then both together:

	Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"
	Option "XaaNoPixmapCache"

Indicate if either one work, both, or neither.

It also could be some kind of Xft or RENDER wonkiness, although that would be reproduceable on any hardware and shouldn't be driver or card specific in that case, and would be widely reported.

It's also possible to be an application specific problem although from the screenshot it seems unlikely.