Re: xfree86 crashes

On Sun, Feb 23, 2003 at 10:19:00AM +0000, David John Nicholson wrote:

> I can assure you that prior to and after my system failed to start X
> I did not edit the XF86Config file.

If your description of chain of events is complete, and you can show
that, then you have on hands a proof that miracles do happen.  This
in itself is seriously more interesting than minor configuration
hiccups.

OTOH I would rather tend to assume that you did edit your
configuration although possibly without knowing it.  Have you, by
any chance, installed a software from some commercial sources?  That
possibly went "user-friendly" and did that small service for you;
regrettably not very well.  A content of XF86Config you posted in
other message strongly indicates that possibility.

  Michal

p.s. It is not considered polite to respond publicly on a mailing
list to remarks directed only to your personal address.