Re: xfree86 crashes

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003, David John Nicholson wrote:

>I don't insist on this depth at all, this is what happened to my
>setup after the crash. As I said in my original message. Redhat
>8.0 installed perfectly and xfree86 ran perfectly.

It is completely and totally impossible for an X server crash to
cause the X server to start up in a different color depth in the
future.  The X server starts up in the depth indicated by
DefaultDepth in the config file.  Unless you hand edit the config
file to change the DefaultDepth, or override the depth with
-depth on the commandline to startx, then you get the depth that
you have configured the X server for.  You can crash it 1000
times, and that is not going to change at all in any way.

Upgrading the kernel wont change that either, and can NOT change
that.

>I upgraded th kernel from 2.4.18-14 to an atalon one 2.4.18-24
>after which I could not get X to work again. So I reinstalled
>the system, reverting to the earlier kernel formatting the
>partitions, and then everything was fine for quite a long time
>until this happened again. I was advised by another member of
>the list to include any error messages so here they are. I want
>to know why x keeps on crashing. Is is a kernel bug which only
>surfaces when you use a particular video card maybe? What is the
>most stable card to use? I like Linux but X has always been a
>pain in the arse to setup. It's a lot better now than it used to
>be though.

I have a feeling you're not providing us with all of the
relevant details and information.  One thing is certain though,
is that your color depth is not randomly changing on it's own
without some help.  Why you're experiencing a crash, I have no
idea, but nobody will be able to help you unless you provide more
details, and post your X server log and config file on the web or
ftp somewhere.