Re: xfree86 crashes

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003, David John Nicholson wrote:

>Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 21:31:50 +0000
>From: David John Nicholson <david@nicholson.f9.co.uk>
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: xfree86 crashes
>
>Dear List Members
>
>Here are the error lines in 2 of my logfiles
>
>/var/log/XFree86.1.log
>/var/log/XFree86.0.log
>
>(EE) R128(0): [dri] R128DRIScreenInit failed (depth 8 not supported).  [dri] Disabling DRI.

It's pretty clear here.  Zero video hardware supports 3D
acceleration at 8 bit depth.  You're aparently using 8bit depth
and have DRI enabled, so the module loads, detects you're using
an unsupported depth, and tells you that.

>(EE) R128(0): No DFP detected

Your digital flat panel is not being detected.

>I have been unable to resolve this problem and , if this card is as well
>supported as mentioned below, how come so many other people have experienced
>similar problems. I look forward to any suggestions.

If so many other people have experienced similar problems, how
come I have never heard even a single person ever mention it
before?  Considering this is quite a long time after the Red Hat
Linux 8.0 release, and also considering that the XFree86 that is
in 7.3 a good 6 months before that, and I have never heard of
this problem before, I would consider it very isolated and
non-common.

You might want to start X in a sane bit depth though.  8bit is
basically considered legacy.  Choose 24bit depth for best
results.