xfree86 crashes

Dear Michael

I don't insist on this depth at all, this is what happened to my setup after the crash.
As I said in my original message. Redhat 8.0 installed perfectly and xfree86 ran perfectly.

I upgraded th kernel from 2.4.18-14 to an atalon one 2.4.18-24 after which I could not get X
to work again. So I reinstalled the system, reverting to the earlier kernel formatting the partitions, and then everything was fine for quite a long time until this happened again. I was advised by another member of the list to include any error messages so here they are. I want to know why x keeps on crashing. Is is a kernel bug which only surfaces when you use a particular video card maybe? What is the most stable
card to use? I like Linux but X has always been a pain in the arse to setup. It's a lot better now
than it used to be though.

Regards

David

(EE) R128(0): [dri] R128DRIScreenInit failed (depth 8 not supported).

Er... so with an error message of that sort why do you insist on
trying to run in an unsupported depth?  I fail to see any kind
of a "crash" anywhere.

'man XF86Config' and "DefaultDepth" there in particular.

   Michal