xfree86 crashes

Dear List Members

Here are the error lines in 2 of my logfiles

/var/log/XFree86.1.log
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

(EE) R128(0): [dri] R128DRIScreenInit failed (depth 8 not supported).  [dri] Disabling DRI.

(EE) R128(0): No DFP detected

See below for my system spec.

I have been unable to resolve this problem and , if this card is as well
supported as mentioned below, how come so many other people have experienced
similar problems. I look forward to any suggestions.

Thanks

David Nicholson

PS here is the header info as well:

XFree86 Version 4.2.0 (Red Hat Linux release: 4.2.0-72) / X Window System
Release Date: 23 January 2002
	If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
	newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
	reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.18-11smp i686 [ELF]
Build Host: daffy.perf.redhat.com

Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.18-14 (bhcompile@astest.test.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 Wed Sep 4 12:13:11 EDT 2002

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, David John Nicholson wrote:

>  I have just installed Redhat 8.0 and I was delighted that eveything
>
>worked out of the box. Now X-Windows keeps crashing and then loses its
>setup.  I know this isn't supposed to happen but it does. The Redhat
>install program works fine, it recognises the monitor 'VIDEOSEVEN' and
>the card 'ATI rage 128' (it's an Xpert 2000 pro). What can I do about
>this apart from buying another video card?

You should read the error log for XFree86 (on RH8.0 this is
/var/log/XFree86.0.log).  It will have lines starting with (EE) and (WW)
to specify "errors" and "warnings".  These may give you a clue as to
where the error lies.  AFAIK the ATI Rage 128 is a _very_ well supported
card and you shouldn't need to get another.  Find out the exact error by
looking at that log file.  If you can't fix it on your own (using a
combination of http://www.google.com/linux and reading the manpages and
the Red Hat supplied documentation) then come back and post the error
log to the list.  I feel sure you'll get this card working.