Antialiasing blurs vertical font elements

I'm finding that my RH8 machines have a peculiar issue with font
antialiasing.  In previous releases, vertical font elements were
always rendered sharply, while antialiasing was used to smooth out
curves and diagonals.  But in RH8, antialiasing is used to position
vertical font elements on the subpixel grid, and this results in
extremely blurry text.  On an LCD panel with subpixel-AA turned on,
characters acquire colored shadows.  For an example, see:
http://www.math.uh.edu/~tibbs/rh8-poor-fonts.gif

Can anyone suggest a way to revert to previous behavior?  My only
alternative seems to be turning AA off completely.  Gnome seems to
have a tool, gnome-font-properties, that shows (under the "details"
panel) four levels of hinting, with "full" being the only one that
doesn't have the bothersome effect.  But this tool has no effect on
non-Gnome applications.  This suggests that there might be a way to
tweak /etc/fonts.conf somehow, but documentation of that file seems to
be missing.

 - J<