Re: Antialiasing blurs vertical font elements

Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@math.uh.edu> writes:

> I'm finding that my RH8 machines have a peculiar issue with font
> antialiasing.  In previous releases, vertical font elements were
> always rendered sharply, while antialiasing was used to smooth out
> curves and diagonals.  But in RH8, antialiasing is used to position
> vertical font elements on the subpixel grid, and this results in
> extremely blurry text.  On an LCD panel with subpixel-AA turned on,
> characters acquire colored shadows.  For an example, see:
> http://www.math.uh.edu/~tibbs/rh8-poor-fonts.gif

It's a matter of preference ... either you distort the weight
a huge amount -- text stems _should_ be about 1.5 pixels wide
at current resolutions, so you have to go to 1 or 2, which
is a big difference -- or you accept some fuzziness on
vertical/horizontal stems.

(A big problem with distorting the weight this much is that
diagonal elements such as the middle line in a 's' may
get compressed to nothing)

> Can anyone suggest a way to revert to previous behavior?  My only
> alternative seems to be turning AA off completely.  Gnome seems to
> have a tool, gnome-font-properties, that shows (under the "details"
> panel) four levels of hinting, with "full" being the only one that
> doesn't have the bothersome effect.  But this tool has no effect on
> non-Gnome applications.  This suggests that there might be a way to
> tweak /etc/fonts.conf somehow, but documentation of that file seems to
> be missing.

The tool should affect all apps running under GNOME, but you
need to restart non GTK+ apps, the setting won't apply
to them.

To tweak stuff not running under GNOME, you want to
edit /etc/X11/Xresources.

Regards,
                                        Owen