Re: tuxracer/matrox g550 "waviness"

On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Alex Deucher wrote:

>Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 08:11:40 -0800 (PST)
>From: Alex Deucher <agd5f@yahoo.com>
>To: Chris Metzler <cmetzler@speakeasy.net>
>Cc: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: Re: tuxracer/matrox g550 "waviness"
>
>I've had no luck getting it fixed.  there must be a bad mode or
>something for 640x480 cause it's also wavy like that when I switch to
>640x480 even in 2D.  THe problem originialy manifested when I put in
>the ranges for my monitor.  My old XF86Config file from the last few
>years stopped working.  I think some problem was introduced into the
>DCC or timing code.  because they monitor wouldn't sync at 85 hz as it
>had previously.  setting custom ranges for my monitor fixed the problem
>but the highest refresh I can get that is stable is 75 hz.  I was using
>xfree CVS from last december (I think) on redhat 7.2.  That worked
>flawlessly; no waviness, 85 hz refresh.  I don't know what changed.  I
>haven't really tried anything else since I got it working at 75 hz
>since I rarely use 3D.  The whole upgrade from 7.2 to 7.3 was pretty
>botch in general; it was the first time I actually used upgrade rather
>than just installing fresh.  not only did X have issues, but PAM quit
>working as well...which in my opinion is even more annoying... One of
>these days I need to just wipe my drive and install fresh. one of these
>days...

If you were using CVS XFree86, as you say you were, wether it was
built directly from CVS, or was rawhide RPM's, your system was
very much unsupported 100%, and any upgrade to a new OS version
is also unsupported.

Red Hat only supports upgrades from one stable official OS
release to the next, including with erratum applied.  While there
are sometimes issues, they are very rare.  When replacing
software supplied by Red Hat with versions from elsewhere, either
from tarball, or from RPM format, including RPM's from rawhide,
the results are unpredictable and unsupported.

Next time, make sure you're using a supported system configuratin
before attempting an upgrade.  We can't account for every random
software installation and/or random replaced system components
out there and expect everything to work.  What we can expect to
work, is our officially supported software that has been released
as part of the OS, or erratum for the OS.  Nothing more, nothing
less.

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer