Re: ATI Radeon 7500 driver bug ?

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 ashu+xfree86@cs.cmu.edu wrote:

>Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 14:27:20 -0400
>From: ashu+xfree86@cs.cmu.edu
>To: xfree86-list@redhat.com
>Subject: ATI Radeon 7500 driver bug ?
>
>Hi all,
>
>I recently bought an ATI Radeon 7500LE ( 64MB DDR ) card, and the driver
>conks out for 1600x1200 resolution ( at 16-bit or 24-bit depths ). The
>monitor basically switches off when I do startx.
>
>The card's main vendor id is: 1002 and sub-vendor id is: 5157. I read
>somewhere that ATI cards which are manufactured by vendors other than
>ATI do not sometimes work without tweaks.

You're mistaking the Device ID for subvendor.  1002:5157 is the
vendor:device ID for an ATI Radeon 7500 (one of them).  The
subvendor and subdevice ID's are separate from that.

This will show the proper ID's:  lspci -vn

One thing to note, is that everyone who is working on the ATI
Video drivers, is using video hardware supplied by ATI, or
otherwise official "Built by ATI" video hardware.  (At least I've
yet to see any developers using Powered by ATI boards instead of
Built by ATI boards).  Also, ATI themselves makes contributions
to the open source drivers by submitting driver support for their
new video hardware at regular intervals.  It stands to reason
also that this development is based on the boards that ATI makes
themselves also.

Any 3rd party vendor whom is creating "Powered by ATI" video
hardware, but modifying the design in any way, such as changing
the RAM speed, and other timing sensitive things, most likely
will end up with boards that do not work with stock XFree86
drivers.  The drivers will need to be modified to autodetect
these types of boards, and to set up timing for them
appropriately.  This more or less requires co-operation and
support by these 3rd party board makers to supply patches to
XFree86.org that allow their video hardware to work properly, or
for someone who has a board that does not work, to debug it,
figure out what is wrong, and fix it and submit patches.

So, it is very highly recommended, if you are purchasing an ATI
video card for usage in XFree86 on Linux or any other platform,
that you get an official "Built by ATI" board, as the Built by
ATI boards are the ones that were used to create these drivers in
the first place, and are the ones that developers have available
to use for debugging, troubleshooting, and general development if
any problems arise.

Some people opt to choose the 'Powered by ATI' boards anyway to
save a couple bucks.  IMHO, you aren't saving anything however if
you end up with a video card that does not work, or is
problematic, and the developers working on the drivers that are
powering the board, do not have the same hardware to work with as
what you bought.

Just some hopefully helpful info/advice.

Take care,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris		ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris
OS Systems Engineer