VIA ProSavage PM133 on RedHat 7.3

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002, Gogu Mihai wrote:

>I have a SL-65MV motherboard (chipset VT8605 + VT82c686a) with a
>PIII/650 and 128MB RAM on my
>computer which run Linux RH7.3 OS. Also i have that last BIOS version
>for this motherboard. The problem is that my machine is freezing when i
>work in X windows. I have installed RH 7.3 version with vanilla kernel
>2.4.18 patched with ac3 patch and many others. The problem is that also
>with originall kernel (shipped with this distribution) the sistem crush
>in console and in X windows. With my kernel, in console is working
>properly. It freeze only in X.

It is recommended to use the Red Hat Linux kernel which has been
released as erratum.  If you experience problems with it you
believe to be bugs, file bug reports in bugzilla please.

>I suspect that the problem is caused by the improper AGP Videocard
>Driver.

Unlikely.

>In linux is detected to be a AGP card but with not supported AGP driver.
>I run XFree86-4.2.0-8

There's no such beast as an "AGP video driver".  There is the
agpgart module, which is used by DRI supported drivers.  The
video drivers themselves work with PCI and AGP hardware, there is
no separate driver for each.

>I found a driver for VIA ProSavage PM133 on www.soltek.com.tw an also at
>https://ranger.s3graphics.com/395drv/ but is writted for an old XFree86
>version (3.3.6) (i downloaded s3savage-1.0-15.tar.gz)

Both are extremely ancient and useless.

>So, my question is: Can be configured somehow this Videocard to keep my
>sistem working correctly in Xwindows? Also, exist any AGP driver for
>this Videocard in Xfree-4.2.0?

I don't believe there are any open bug reports on Savage PM133.
I'm not sure if the driver officially supports that.

>I try to use: modprobe agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1 and, AGP driver
>found but is not working corectly (i test it with TuxRacer Game)!

That wont work, because the Savage driver is 2D only.  There is
no DRI 3D accleration support for Savage hardware, and so agpgart
does nothing.  For DRI supported hardware, the X server
automatically loads the agpgart driver and the hardware specific
DRI module, so you never need to do so yourself.  However,
unfortunately there is no DRI module for savage hardware
currently so you're out of luck for 3D.

>See below the kernel message
>
>Tail -f /var/log/messages
>
>Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff
>Hartmann
>Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for
>agp memory: 79M
>Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: agpgart: Trying generic Via routines for
>device id: 0605
>Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe8000000

That just shows that you've loaded the agpgart driver into
memory.  That is a motherboard chipset driver, not a video
driver, so it will load.  However it wont do anything useful,
since XFree86 wont use it for your card, as it is unsupported as
I mentioned above.

If you're having lockups and problems with the Savage driver, it
is highly recommended to report such problems to the
xpert@xfree86.org mailing list, and to Tim Roberts
<timr@probo.com> whom is the Savage driver maintainer.  Tim may
be able to troubleshoot and possibly fix the driver if he is able
to reproduce the problem you are experiencing.

There is aparently a project which aims to create DRI support for
the Savage, but to my knowledge it isn't ready or publically
available yet.

Good luck,
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                  Shipping/mailing address:
OS Systems Engineer             190 Pittsburgh Ave., Sault Ste. Marie,