Geforce4 MX420 under rh7.3

OK, my games-junkie proclivity outweigh my free software sentiments when
it comes to using video cards so I couldn't resist this getting card last
week.

But, having problems install the nvidia binaries under 7.3.
Following the instructions on the nvidia site I downloaded and compiled
the source for the kernel and GLX binaries  - failure.

specifically:
the NVIDIA_GLX1.0 driver seems to compile ok but compiling the
NVIDIA_kernel gives several errors:
warning: pasting "pcibios_write_cong_dword" and "(" does not give a valid
preprocessing token
(several of these)
asm/delay.h: No such file or directory
(many of these)
nv.c:180:59: missing binary operator before '>='
(many of these)

Searching the forums at nvidia I found the following:
http://www.nvnews.net/forum/showthread.php?s=22b80e8a6e1692763c151a53863b316a&threadid=14592";>nV News Forums - For newbies who can't install nvidia cards on RH 7.3

It basically says that 7.3 users should update the kernel and the kernel
source to the latest before trying to compile the nvidia binaries from
source.

Is this correct? Certainly the errors I'm getting seem to indicate I need
the source files installed but I've never updated my kernel before and
although I've thoroughly gone through the HOWTO it's not trivial and I
thought I'd check here first that I was doing the right thing.

Also as I have no gui I'm planning to manually update the kernel and
sources from the command line.

ANY comments and advice much appreciated.

Regards,
Graeme.