VIA ProSavage PM133 on RedHat 7.3

Hi Mark,

I found your email address on Google search
(https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xfree86-list/2001q4/000136.html)

I have a SL-65MV motherboard (chipset VT8605 + VT82c686a) with a
PIII/650 and 128MB RAM on my
computer which run Linux RH7.3 OS. Also i have that last BIOS version
for this motherboard. The problem is that my machine is freezing when i
work in X windows. I have installed RH 7.3 version with vanilla kernel
2.4.18 patched with ac3 patch and many others. The problem is that also
with originall kernel (shipped with this distribution) the sistem crush
in console and in X windows. With my kernel, in console is working
properly. It freeze only in X.

I suspect that the problem is caused by the improper AGP Videocard
Driver.

In linux is detected to be a AGP card but with not supported AGP driver.
I run XFree86-4.2.0-8

I found a driver for VIA ProSavage PM133 on www.soltek.com.tw an also at
https://ranger.s3graphics.com/395drv/ but is writted for an old XFree86
version (3.3.6) (i downloaded s3savage-1.0-15.tar.gz)

So, my question is: Can be configured somehow this Videocard to keep my
sistem working correctly in Xwindows? Also, exist any AGP driver for
this Videocard in Xfree-4.2.0?

I try to use: modprobe agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1 and, AGP driver
found but is not working corectly (i test it with TuxRacer Game)!

See below the kernel message

Tail -f /var/log/messages

Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff
Hartmann
Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for
agp memory: 79M
Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: agpgart: Trying generic Via routines for
device id: 0605
Jun 14 13:19:29 dev04 kernel: agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xe8000000

Please be amiabile and respond to this email,

Gogu Mihai

Firexnet.ro Network Admin
B-dul Sincai 11, Bl. 4
Bucharest/Romania