XFree 4.2 and Mesa version

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Dave Reed wrote:

>> >The reason I'm curious is that 3.4.2 has some bugs in its triangle
>> >strip rendering that show up in the code I use all the time. I
>> >reported it and Brian Paul saw that it got fixed (I think Keith
>> >actually fixed it) in Mesa 4.0.1 (I think that's the first version
>> >where it's fixed), but it wasn't easy to backport the fix to Mesa
>> >3.4.2 since the code is so different.
>>
>> Correct.  You'll have to compile Mesa 4.x yourself, or wait for
>> an official release that contains it.
>
>Thanks for responding Mike. I know I can compile Mesa 4.x myself and
>use it - I've compiled it "standalone" but then the DRI/3D
>accelleration doesn't work.
>
>Are you saying that Mesa 4.x could provided accelerated 3D support
>with XFree 4.2 and my Radeon 7500 card if I took your XFree86 4.2 src
>rpm and replaced its Mesa 3.4.2 with Mesa 4.x? From the FAQ entry I
>read (on Mesa's site I think) it said this wasn't a straightforward
>process and strongly recommended waiting for the XFree packages to
>update the Mesa that comes with it. I thought it was because the DRI
>with Mesa 4.x wasn't ready yet and when it is, the XFree86 people will
>updateto it, but if it will work, I'm willing to give it a try some
>weekend and will make the packages available for anyone if I get it to
>work.

Mesa 4.x isn't ready for mainstream usage yet, due to various
instabilities that will get worked out over time, as such it
isn't integrated into XFree86 yet.  It very much is not a
straightforward process, it is quite complicated for the
uninitiated, and frought with may possible problems which then
need troubleshooting, etc.

I strongly urge anyone considering using Mesa 4.0 whom is not a
developer, to wait it out.

>> I currently have no plans of packaging up Mesa 4.x (although I
>> would like to).
>
>Please clarify: you have no plans because it's not stable yet and want
>it to be stable before packaging it, or you because you don't have
>time, or some other reason.

All of the above.  I need to concentrate my time on things that
produce the best results with the software that we have right
now.

>Also, you mentioned in any earlier version that RawHide is updated
>daily (and only new packages that are really broken are reverted to
>earlier versions). Where is the best place to get update XFree86 RPMS
>from:
>
>ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/7.2/XFree86/

For XFree86 4.2.0 rpm's for RHL 7.2, yes.

>from rawide?

I build both for rawhide and for 7.2.  The 7.2 rpm's are
identical to the rawhide rpm's only built in a _stable_ build
environment.  Rawhide is only for bta testing, and is very likely
to be broken at any point in time.  Much moreso than my 7.2 rpms.

>It appears right now that rawhide is more recent.

That is false.  Rawhide has a higher release number.  The 7.2
rpm's are identical only they have a 0.x release number so that
when the time comes _hopefully_ one can upgrade 7.2 to the final
RPM's without version skew.  The 7.2 rpm's will always have a
release number less than -2, ie 0.*, 1.*

>I'm more than willing to test new versions so I can help make
>certain the next version of Red Hat works great with the Radeon
>7500. And of course, I'm anxiously awaiting Mesa 4.x's inclusion
>to fix the Mesa 3.4.2 triangle strip bug that causes me problems
>:-).

Well that's good to hear.  ;o)  Please bang on the 7.2 rpm's or
the rawhide ones if you're more daring, and as always, bugzilla
is where to dump any bugs.
Thanks,
TTYL