XFree 4.2 and Mesa version

> From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com>

<snip>

> Mesa 4.x isn't ready for mainstream usage yet, due to various
> instabilities that will get worked out over time, as such it
> isn't integrated into XFree86 yet.  It very much is not a
> straightforward process, it is quite complicated for the
> uninitiated, and frought with may possible problems which then
> need troubleshooting, etc.
>
> I strongly urge anyone considering using Mesa 4.0 whom is not a
> developer, to wait it out.

I'm a developer/programmer, but not a Mesa developer and I think
that's what you mean so I'll probably just wait.

> >> I currently have no plans of packaging up Mesa 4.x (although I
> >> would like to).
> >
> >Please clarify: you have no plans because it's not stable yet and want
> >it to be stable before packaging it, or you because you don't have
> >time, or some other reason.
>
> All of the above.  I need to concentrate my time on things that
> produce the best results with the software that we have right
> now.
>

> >Also, you mentioned in any earlier version that RawHide is updated
> >daily (and only new packages that are really broken are reverted to
> >earlier versions). Where is the best place to get update XFree86 RPMS
> >from:
> >
> >ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/7.2/XFree86/
>
> For XFree86 4.2.0 rpm's for RHL 7.2, yes.
>
> >from rawide?
>
> I build both for rawhide and for 7.2.  The 7.2 rpm's are
> identical to the rawhide rpm's only built in a _stable_ build
> environment.  Rawhide is only for bta testing, and is very likely
> to be broken at any point in time.  Much moreso than my 7.2 rpms.
>

> >It appears right now that rawhide is more recent.
>
> That is false.  Rawhide has a higher release number.  The 7.2
> rpm's are identical only they have a 0.x release number so that
> when the time comes _hopefully_ one can upgrade 7.2 to the final
> RPM's without version skew.  The 7.2 rpm's will always have a
> release number less than -2, ie 0.*, 1.*
>
> >I'm more than willing to test new versions so I can help make
> >certain the next version of Red Hat works great with the Radeon
> >7500. And of course, I'm anxiously awaiting Mesa 4.x's inclusion
> >to fix the Mesa 3.4.2 triangle strip bug that causes me problems
> >:-).
>
> Well that's good to hear.  ;o)  Please bang on the 7.2 rpm's or
> the rawhide ones if you're more daring, and as always, bugzilla
> is where to dump any bugs.

Thanks again for all the info. The rawhide ones are compiled with gcc
3.x (correct?) so a rebuild would be necessary on a 7.2 system
(correct?). I'll probably stick with your RPMS compiled on a 7.2
system since this is my main home computer. The only thing I have from
rawhide are the kerenel (2.4.17-0.6) and modutils (2.4.12-7) since
they appeared to be compiled using gcc 2.96. I guess the other thing
that made me think those XFree RPMS were older was your earlier
message to this list:

  Sheesh, you're slow.  4.2.0-0.3 is already built, and 4.2.0-0.4
  is on the way tomorrow sometime also (hopefully).  ;o)

The newest I can find at your site is still 4.2.0-0.2. I'm assuming
you'll send announcements to this list whenever you make new ones
available.

Dave
(who's thrilled to finally have good 3D support on his Linux box)