XFree 4.2 and Mesa version

> From: "Mike A. Harris" <mharris@redhat.com>
>
> On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Dave Reed wrote:
>
> >XFree 4.2 still has Mesa 3.4.2. Does anyone know when XFree will start
> >using Mesa 4.x? I understand the DRI structure in Mesa 4.x is quite
> >different so that's probably the reason 3.4.2 is still being used.
>
> The reason is because Mesa 4.0 is unstable.  When it becomes
> stable, then XFree86 will merge it into cvs.  I suspect XFree86
> 4.3.0 will come with Mesa 4.x.
>

> >The reason I'm curious is that 3.4.2 has some bugs in its triangle
> >strip rendering that show up in the code I use all the time. I
> >reported it and Brian Paul saw that it got fixed (I think Keith
> >actually fixed it) in Mesa 4.0.1 (I think that's the first version
> >where it's fixed), but it wasn't easy to backport the fix to Mesa
> >3.4.2 since the code is so different.
>
> Correct.  You'll have to compile Mesa 4.x yourself, or wait for
> an official release that contains it.

Thanks for responding Mike. I know I can compile Mesa 4.x myself and
use it - I've compiled it "standalone" but then the DRI/3D
accelleration doesn't work.

Are you saying that Mesa 4.x could provided accelerated 3D support
with XFree 4.2 and my Radeon 7500 card if I took your XFree86 4.2 src
rpm and replaced its Mesa 3.4.2 with Mesa 4.x? From the FAQ entry I
read (on Mesa's site I think) it said this wasn't a straightforward
process and strongly recommended waiting for the XFree packages to
update the Mesa that comes with it. I thought it was because the DRI
with Mesa 4.x wasn't ready yet and when it is, the XFree86 people will
updateto it, but if it will work, I'm willing to give it a try some
weekend and will make the packages available for anyone if I get it to
work.

> I currently have no plans of packaging up Mesa 4.x (although I
> would like to).

Please clarify: you have no plans because it's not stable yet and want
it to be stable before packaging it, or you because you don't have
time, or some other reason.

Also, you mentioned in any earlier version that RawHide is updated
daily (and only new packages that are really broken are reverted to
earlier versions). Where is the best place to get update XFree86 RPMS
from:

ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/7.2/XFree86/

or

from rawide?

It appears right now that rawhide is more recent. I'm more than
willing to test new versions so I can help make certain the next
version of Red Hat works great with the Radeon 7500. And of course,
I'm anxiously awaiting Mesa 4.x's inclusion to fix the Mesa 3.4.2
triangle strip bug that causes me problems :-).

Thanks,
Dave