XFree 4.2 and Mesa version

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Dave Reed wrote:

>XFree 4.2 still has Mesa 3.4.2. Does anyone know when XFree will start
>using Mesa 4.x? I understand the DRI structure in Mesa 4.x is quite
>different so that's probably the reason 3.4.2 is still being used.

The reason is because Mesa 4.0 is unstable.  When it becomes
stable, then XFree86 will merge it into cvs.  I suspect XFree86
4.3.0 will come with Mesa 4.x.

>The reason I'm curious is that 3.4.2 has some bugs in its triangle
>strip rendering that show up in the code I use all the time. I
>reported it and Brian Paul saw that it got fixed (I think Keith
>actually fixed it) in Mesa 4.0.1 (I think that's the first version
>where it's fixed), but it wasn't easy to backport the fix to Mesa
>3.4.2 since the code is so different.

Correct.  You'll have to compile Mesa 4.x yourself, or wait for
an official release that contains it.

I currently have no plans of packaging up Mesa 4.x (although I
would like to).