XFree 4.2 and Mesa version

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

>> Thanks for responding Mike. I know I can compile Mesa 4.x myself and
>> use it - I've compiled it "standalone" but then the DRI/3D
>> accelleration doesn't work.
>>
>> Are you saying that Mesa 4.x could provided accelerated 3D support
>> with XFree 4.2 and my Radeon 7500 card if I took your XFree86 4.2 src
>> rpm and replaced its Mesa 3.4.2 with Mesa 4.x? From the FAQ entry I
>>> I currently have no plans of packaging up Mesa 4.x (although I
>>> would like to).
>>
>> Please clarify: you have no plans because it's not stable yet and want
>> it to be stable before packaging it, or you because you don't have
>> time, or some other reason.
>
>Would the ExternalMesa option in the XFree86.spec allow
>Mesa-4.0 to work with DRI correctly, or is more needed
>for this?

No.  For all intents and purposes, the WithExternalMesa RPM
define is extreme Jedi Black Voodoo Magic which is intended for
building 7.x packages for official releases.  There is probably 2
people in the world who can make it do anything useful, me and
Bero (whom I added it for in the first place).  If someone else
can figure out exactly what it is doing, and all of the rest of
the hoops needed to produce anything remotely useful out of it, I
will indeed be extremely impressed.  ;o)

To give you an idea...  Knowing what needs to be done beforehand,
enabling that option, and plopping the properly prepared bits of
black magic here and there, is pretty much 1-2 days work plus
troubleshooting.  And that is just for a minor update.  For a
major revision update, it is likely several days work to kludge
all the crap to work right.  (Eeeeww)

Also...  Mesa 4.x contains features that make using the separate
Mesa package irrelevant.

That is about all the detail I'll go into.  In short, the answer
is:  "Don't do drugs kids! Just say no!"

http://www.na.org

>> Also, you mentioned in any earlier version that RawHide is updated
>> daily (and only new packages that are really broken are reverted to
>> earlier versions). Where is the best place to get update XFree86 RPMS
>> from:
>>
>> ftp://people.redhat.com/mharris/testing/7.2/XFree86/
>> or
>> from rawide?
>
>What about sources to build locally?

What about them?

>What is different other than the Release number?

For all intents and purposes - the release number.

>Which is more up to date (new patches and such)?

Both.