Gentoo.org: Major Linux/Athlon CPU bug discovered

Christopher Keller wrote:

> Yeah, I've had random lockups about once a day since I migrated work
> workstation at work to Linux. Completely random, always figured it was
> the soundblaster interaction.
>
> To see if you're vulnerable:
> Looks like I'm susceptible. I've since added the mem=nopentium line in
> grub. We'll see what happens....

The discussion I saw on the kernel list said
that linux wouldn't suffer at all.
The 4MiB pages are never used in the way
required to trigger this. (non aligned invalidate?)

Appearentl geentoo saw it with the NVIDIA kernel drivers,
and other questionable patches, which may trigger the bug.

Haven't saw a comment from Alan Cox on the subject yet
though, and he will probably clarify the issue.

	-Thomas