Gentoo.org: Major Linux/Athlon CPU bug discovered

On Mon, 2002-01-21 at 06:13, Alex Deucher wrote:
> My system has been locking up reliably ever since I
> upgraded my athlon 850 to an XP 1600+.  Perhaps it is
> this bug manifesting itself.  Nothing strange shows up
> in the logs.  What's odd though is that it was rock
> solid with the old Athlon.
>
> Hardware is KT133A, matrox G550, Xfree CVS from Dec.,
> kernel 2.4.13.
>
> My first though was maybe a bios issue, but there are
> no new bioses available for my board.  My next thought
> was perhaps a bug in Xfree, or the kernel, but I
> haven't had time to try a new xfree or kernel.  Maybe
> today.
>
> Alex

Yeah, I've had random lockups about once a day since I migrated work
workstation at work to Linux. Completely random, always figured it was
the soundblaster interaction.

To see if you're vulnerable:

Run "cat /proc/cpuinfo".

cpu family      : 6
model           : 6
stepping        : 2

Then you should be safe.

Running it on mine:

cpu family      : 6
model           : 2
stepping        : 2

Looks like I'm susceptible. I've since added the mem=nopentium line in
grub. We'll see what happens....

--Chris

--
Christopher Keller