Gentoo.org: Major Linux/Athlon CPU bug discovered

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Thomas Dodd wrote:

> Christopher Keller wrote:
> >
> > Yeah, I've had random lockups about once a day since I migrated work
> > workstation at work to Linux. Completely random, always figured it was
> > the soundblaster interaction.
> >
> > To see if you're vulnerable:
> > Looks like I'm susceptible. I've since added the mem=nopentium line in
> > grub. We'll see what happens....
>
> The discussion I saw on the kernel list said
> that linux wouldn't suffer at all.
> The 4MiB pages are never used in the way
> required to trigger this. (non aligned invalidate?)
>
> Appearentl geentoo saw it with the NVIDIA kernel drivers,
> and other questionable patches, which may trigger the bug.
>
> Haven't saw a comment from Alan Cox on the subject yet
> though, and he will probably clarify the issue.

Both Alan Cox and Andrea Arcangeli among others have stated on lkmk that this
is not a problem for linux. According to the lkml traffic gentoo did something
weird to tweak this bug.

This is also Ot for this list. Sorry.

HTH,

--
......Tom		BITTERNESS: Never be Afraid to Share Your Dreams
tdiehl@rogueind.com	with the World, Because There's Nothing the World