new kernel for XFree 4.2 and 3D Radeon 7500 support

Thanks to some help from Jim and remembering a few things when first
getting AGP support for my TNT2 card, I've got DRI working with my new
Radeon 7500. Here's what I did:

Followed Jim's instructions for the kernel (although I still don't
understand the significance of what this does since we're not actually
creating a new kernel):

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13
edit the top level Makefile remove "custom" from EXTRAVERSION
make mrproper
make xconfig

click "load configuration from file"
load the default Red Hat config from your kernel. if you have a i686
/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13/configs/kernel-2.4.9-i686.config

click save and exit
make dep

Next, I followed Jim's instructions for compiling the XFree DRM kernel
modules:

install the XFree86 source rpm (from Mike Harris' site)
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpm -bp XFree86.spec
I put this in 2 commands so it didnt word wrap.
cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/XFree86-4.2.0/xc/programs/Xserver
cd hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel
make -f Makefile.linux

I suggest you backup your old DRM modules first
copy the new modules to the right place

cp gamma.o mga.o r128.o radeon.o sis.o tdfx.o
/lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/char/drm

/sbin/depmod -a

I removed sis.o since depmod -a complained about undefined symbols in
it.

I then used Xconfigurator and selected Radeon AGP.

I can't remember whether I needed to make any changes to the
XF86Config-4 file after that or not (I don't think so). I hand edited
the XF86Config-4 file and tried both "ati" and "radeon" for the driver
but it does not appear to make any difference - the radeon module is
listed in either case when you execute lsmod.

What I did need to do was put the following in /etc/modules.conf

alias char-major-10-175 agpgart
options agpgart agp_try_unsupported=1

I believe this is specific to my motherboard. I've got an ASUS CUV4X
and a P3-800.

glxinfo now reports:
direct rendering: Yes

Without the modules.conf lines, it would fail when attempting to load
AGP and the DRI module would then get unloaded and no 2D support.

Jim suggested I look at my bios settings for AGP and the only thing I
found was the aperture setting which was 32MB (which was the video
memory in my TNT2 card) so I changed it to 64MB but didn't notice any
speed difference after that and XFree86.0.log includes:

(II) RADEON(0): Using 8 MB AGP aperture
(II) RADEON(0): Using 1 MB for the ring buffer
(II) RADEON(0): Using 2 MB for vertex/indirect buffers
(II) RADEON(0): Using 5 MB for AGP textures

which is less than 32MB total so I don't think that matters.

As far as speed. It appears a little better than my TNT2 card as far
as polygon rendering, although I don't have any specific numbers -
that's just my best guess based on how a few OpenGL apps respond.

chromium says it's running at 50fps.
glxgears reports: 4947 frames in 5.0 seconds = 989.400 FPS

but I'm not certain anything over the refresh rate of the monitor
really makes sense for a benchmark.

Jim reported some screen glitches, but I haven't noticed any yet so it
may be an issue with his motherboard chipset.

Hope this helps someone else. Thanks again Jim.

Dave