new kernel for XFree 4.2 and 3D Radeon 7500 support

--=-QHmAG3N9kg3VN9uz0dC2

On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 11:42, Dave Reed wrote:
>=20
> I haven't compiled a kernel since the 2.2 first came out, but from
> what I gathered from the list archives, it's actually a kernel module
> that comes with XFree that needs to be compiled, not the entire kernel
> - is that correct?=20

Yes, it is the DRM modules from XFree that need to be compiled, not the
kernel.

> - is that correct? Do I need a kernel newer than the latest official
> Red Hat 7.2 kernel (2.4.9-13)?=20

No. You must have the kernel-source rpm installed for the kernel you are
running.

>=20
> I'm willing to give it a try if someone can point me in the right
> direction since I have some time this afternoon and won't have much
> time after today. Do I need to compile a new kernel, and do I need to
> compile all of XFree86 or just find the DRM module, compile it, and
> copy it to the appropriate /lib/modules directory)

Red Hat kernel's source rpm's add the word "custom" to the EXTRAVERSION
line in the top level Makefile you have to remove this or the module
compile will not find the correct kernel headers and the module compile
will crash and burn. You don't have to do this if you not running a Red
Hat kernel.

This is for Red Hat 2.4.9-13 kernel

cd /usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13
edit the top level Makefile remove "custom" from EXTRAVERSION
make mrproper
make xconfig

click "load configuration from file"
load the default Red Hat config from your kernel. if you have a i686
/usr/src/linux-2.4.9-13/configs/kernel-2.4.9-i686.config

click save and exit
make dep

install the XFree86 source rpm

cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS

rpm -bp XFree86.spec

I put this in 2 commands so it didnt word wrap.
cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/XFree86-4.2.0/xc/programs/Xserver

cd hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel

make -f Makefile.linux

I suggest you backup your old DRM modules first
copy the new modules to the right place

cp gamma.o mga.o r128.o radeon.o sis.o tdfx.o
/lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/char/drm

/sbin/depmod -a

I suggest you boot runlevel 3 and not directly into X before you try the
new 4.2.0 rpms.I also suggest the first time you run X that your disable
DRI. Then if X works go ahead and re-enable DRI.=20

comment out this line in your XF86Config-4 file to disable DRI
Load  "dri"		# Direct rendering infrastructure

For some reason the Radeon driver's from cvs I have been using do not
seem to recognize the Option "nodri" statement.

Regards,
	Jim H

--=-QHmAG3N9kg3VN9uz0dC2

--=-QHmAG3N9kg3VN9uz0dC2--