new kernel for XFree 4.2 and 3D Radeon 7500 support

> From: Dave Reed <dreed@capital.edu>
> Sender: xfree86-list-admin@redhat.com
> Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 14:42:05 -0500
>
> > From: J Hayward <jimhayward@earthlink.net>
> >
> > On Sun, 2002-01-20 at 11:05, Dave Reed wrote:
> > >=20
> > > Since they were on sale, I went ahead and bought a Radeon 7500 now
> > > since it looks like the 3D support is possible now with XFree 4.2. I
> > > just subscribed to the list and skimmed the archives and noticed Mike
> > > mentioned "kernel 2.4.17-0.5 or later" would be needed and it should
> > > show up in his site and rawhide soon. Is it available anywhere so I can
> > > experiment with it this afternoon?
> > >=20
> > > Thanks,
> > > Dave
> >
> > Probably not unless you have access to Red Hat's internal development
> > servers. ;-)=20
>

> Unforutnately, no :-)
>

> > Until these kernels are available you will have to compile and install
> > the kernel DRM modules yourself for DRI support.=20
> >
> > Regards,
> > 	Jim H
>
> I haven't compiled a kernel since the 2.2 first came out, but from
> what I gathered from the list archives, it's actually a kernel module
> that comes with XFree that needs to be compiled, not the entire kernel
> - is that correct? Do I need a kernel newer than the latest official
> Red Hat 7.2 kernel (2.4.9-13)? My computer still has a TNT2 card in
> it so I'm familiar with compiling NVidia's kernel module whenever I
> update the kernel.
>
> I'm willing to give it a try if someone can point me in the right
> direction since I have some time this afternoon and won't have much
> time after today. Do I need to compile a new kernel, and do I need to
> compile all of XFree86 or just find the DRM module, compile it, and
> copy it to the appropriate /lib/modules directory)
>
> Guess I'll start by downloading the XFree86 SRPM and take a look while
> waiting to see if anyone replies.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

Just so I don't waste someone's time if I did get it figured out
correctly, here's what I've done (based on what I'm hoping is a
similar process to the NVidia modules):

cd XFree86-4.2.0/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel
make -f Makefile.linux
cp radeon.o /lib/modules/2.4.9-13/kernel/drivers/video

Now I'm going to install the XFree86 4.2.0-0.2 RPMS from Mike's site,
shut the computer off, install the Radeon 7500, turn the computer on
and update the XF86Config-4 file to work with the new card and point
it to the radeon.o module and see what happens.

Dave