Re: Synchronous (function call type) interface ?

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Tom Sanders wrote:

> I have two application servers running at different
> machines and I want to provide a function call type
> (synchronous) interface to applications.
>
> This operation may mean one server to send/receive
> data from another server. Since I want application to
> be unaware of such inter-machine communication and
> yet provide a synchronous interface, I want client
> call to be blocked in local server unless all data is
> ready.
>
> Any suggessions about good ways of achieving this
> functionality? Message Q, Pipes, anything? Your inputs
> will be appreciated.

Use TCP/IP sockets. A TCP/IP socket, once the connection is made, is a
file. A textbook on the topic will have sample simple client/server
models for you to use.

You've not mentioned programming languages, but it's particularly easy
in Java. Perl does it too, of course. Webmin (www.webin.com) has a web
server written in Perl.

--
Please, reply only to the list.