Re: Synchronous (function call type) interface ?

Hi,

You can use pipes(unnamed) for communication between related processes i.e parent
and the child(s) process(es) on the same machine, not across processes running on different
machines. Also with FIFOs, message queues, shared memory only the communication between
processes on the same host is possible. All these local IPC mechanisms require shared memory
and the unix kernel.

  The best option is to go for TCP/IP sockets. Depending upon your requirement you can use
either STREAM ( connection oriented  and reliable ) or DATAGRAM ( connectionless and
unreliable ) variations. This form of remote IPC will provde you various networking
APIs to exchange data between processes different machines.

For more details about unix network programming with C, please refer the book
"UNIX Network Programming by W. Richard Stevens"

HTH,
--
Narsimha Reddy CH
Storage Area Networking, HCL Technologies

http://san.hcltech.com
http://www.hcltech.com