Re: Pentium 4 Optimizations

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 05:29, Tesla 13 wrote:

> I would like to adapt a Redhat 8.0 system to Pentium 4. The binaries, data,
> files and everything will be used, run and compiled on P4. I have no issue
> with compatability and I do not need anything to run on a 386, Pentium or
> PIII -- only P4.

You would be much better off if you'll identify only those applications
that really are CPU-intensive on your system, recompile only those and
use them.
If you do the analysis right, you'll be amazed to learn how very few
apps are indeed CPU-intensive.

On my home system, i use the packages that are already CPU-optimized by
the distribution (kernel, glibc...); beyond that, i only optimize a few
multimedia applications, because multimedia is my hobby and i have a few
CPU hogs there (transcoding and video editing stuff).
But i optimize nothing else, because there's no real need for that.

On a very busy web server, it makes sense to optimize httpd, but the
rest is a waste of time.

Sure you can recompile and optimize everything, and use the most exotic
compiler options, but the gain is microscopic. And sometimes it's a loss
(think about the one-off kind of apps that get larger binaries after
compiler optimizations and then they get slower to launch precisely
because they get bigger).

Common sense is strongly recommended. ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

"If you play the WinXP CD backwards, you get a satanic message."
"That's nothing, if you play it forward, it installs WinXP."